Every year without fail for the past 4 years or so i’ve made Gingerbread at Christmas. While baking it fills your home with the typical very Christmassy spiced scent and it smells friggin amazing let me tell you! Another super easy recipe to follow.
- 350g plain flour, plus extra for rolling out
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2tsp ground ginger
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 125g softened butter
- 175g light soft brown sugar
- 1 free range egg
- 4tbsp golden syrup
- Sift together the flour, bicarb of soda, ground ginger and ground cinnamon in a large bowl. Add the butter and rub between your fingers until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar.
- Lightly beat the egg and golden syrup then mix into the breadcrumb mixture till it starts to form a dough like texture, if you find it’s too dry add some water little bits at a time.
- Tip the dough out and knead until smooth, wrap in clingfilm and put in the firdge for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line some baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Roll the dough out onto a floured surface and cut into your desired shapes. Place onto baking tray making sure you leave a gap between.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden and leave to cool. If you wish you can then decorate them, i just like to tuck straight into mine.
Do you have a baking tradition every Christmas?